With the advent of the new academic year for college , it’s imperative for focused students to start looking for scholarships to help their life become easier in the coming four- five years of their college.
The types of scholarships available for Indian Students in India can be classified on the basis of :
- Means Based Scholarships : This one caters to the requirements of students from economically backward classes , usually categorized on the basis of annual family income.
- Merit Based Scholarships : this considers both academic merit and financial need of students.
- Talent Based Scholarships : Talent in the fields of music , art and dance are recognized and scholarships for them are available to stop you from clipping your ambitious wings , and letting them fly.
- Sports Based Scholarships : Winning a scholarship based on performance in a particular sport is noteworthy.You should know that you are open to a lot of scholarships from sports institutions.
- Women Centric Scholarships : Keeping a sharp focus on empowering women, a number of scholarships are bring offered to girls based on academic merit, or financial need.
A lot of opportunities await you! Here we bring to you 25 handpicked out of 1000s of Exciting Scholarships for College Students for 2020 .
Note : The following Scholarships are only for Indian College Students.
These are the 5 Most Popular Scholarships in India :
1. HDFC Educational Crisis Scholarship Scheme
The HDFC Scholarship Scheme is an initiative to help out students going through tough times such as death or loss of an earning parent, among others.
This Scheme is rather important to keep in mind because it gives flexibility for the student to pick out his/her course as the scholarship is valid for any stream.
2. Foundation for Academic Excellence and Access (FAEA)
FAEA is an initiative by BHEL to provide financial help to disadvantaged students for undergraduate studies.
It’s good to note that the scholarship is available for students from any stream, and if selected , covers the whole cost of the course as well as hostel fee, maintenance etc.
3. Indian Oil Academic Scholarships
For the technical students , Indian Oil offers scholarships to students on merit as well as means ( or the lack of ) in engineering , medical and management streams.
4. Aditya Birla Scholarship
This scholarship encourages the bright minds of the country, however it is available only for a few particular colleges around the country.
However , a major plus point is that the selected students have the option to join Aditya Birla Group after they graduate.
5. AICTE Pragati Scholarship for Girls
The AICTE Pragati Scholarship aims to continue to provide higher education to women in the technical streams. It boosts female education in India.
A. Means Based Scholarships
1. AMP Higher Education Scholarship Fund
The Association of Muslim Professionals is an initiative by Muslim professionals to share their skills for the development of the Muslim community as a whole.
2. SHDF Scholarships
SIkh Human Development Foundation is a social welfare ,non-profit institution to provide financial aid to poor students and help them in pursuing higher education.
3. Joining Hands Higher Education Scholarship Program
The Joining Hands initiative sponsors underprivileged students for professional courses.
4. AICTE-Saksham Scholarship Scheme
Institutions have made provisions for the differently abled students under the Saksham scheme by AICTE.
5. Sindhutai Sapakal Scheme for Educating Orphans and Children with Special Needs
A Scheme for Educating Orphans and those with special needs was launched by Andhra Pradesh Welfare Corporation to provide financial help and education.
B. Merit Based Scholarships
1. Siemens Scholarship Program
A unique program by Siemens India to support technical education,applicable for first year engineering students . Through this venture, Siemens tries to offer scholarships to meritorious students from economically challenged families.
2. Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)
KVPY is a National Level Scholarship for students interested in science and research fields. This is a highly competitive scholarship and it’s exam can be taken in +2 years as well as in fresher year of college.
3. INSPIRE Scholarship
Another Competitive Scholarship by the Government of India for students pursuing Basic and Natural Sciences, a part of their Scholarship for Higher Education Program.
4. Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles
PMSS launched under National Defence Fund encourages technical and professional education for dependent wards / widows of CAPF and/or AR personnel.
C. Talent Based Scholarships
1. Comix Competition (International)
The Fumetto International Comix Festival holds an annual competition to comic creators to show their work worldwide. It contains categories ranging from 18 and above, and 12 to 17 years of age as well.
2. Kalakriti Fellowship
Closer home , Sanskriti Pratishthan is accepting applications for it’s Sanskriti – Kalakriti Fellowship in Performing Arts. It Encourages and supports artists to develop their skills in their area of interest through intensive workshops.
3. Madhobi Chatterji Memorial Fellowship
Another initiative of Sanskriti Pratishthan to encourage promising artists to hone their skills by providing them the resources. This Fellowship is open to Indian nationals interested in Indian Classical Music and Dance.
4. Lalit Kala Akademi Scholarship
Lalit Kala Akademi Scholarship provides scholarship to promising artist annually, providing a work space where they can hone their skills and innovate in their respective fields.
D. Sports Based Scholarships
Both these Scholarships encourage budding athletes , providing a network of support and financial assistance to develop them into sports persons. They also provide an opportunity to be mentored by world renowned athletes.
E. Women Centric Scholarships
1. Women Techmaker’s Scholar Program
The Women Techmaker’s Scholar Program facilitates the vision of the founder Dr. Anita Borg of creating gender equality in the field of computer science and encouraging women to become active role models in this field.
2. Lady Meherbai Tata Education Scholarship
This Scholarship revolves around Indian Women who have applied for admission abroad to pursue Higher Education in Socio -environmental subjects such as Social work, Gender Studies Rural Development Work etc.
3. Tata Housing Scholarships For Meritorious Girl Students
This Scholarship is a merit-cum-means scholarship providing financial assistance to girls from economically backward areas. It caters to students in the field of MBA ,Bachelor of Architecture and Civil Engineering.
4. Prabha Dutt Fellowship
Prabha Dutt Fellowship by Sanskriti Pratishthan, offers a grant to women journalists to support relevant contemporary projects. Open to women aged 25 to 40 years.
5. UGAM – Legrand Scholarship Program
UGAM- Legend Scholarship offers a scholarship to class 12 girls to go for B.Tech and other technical courses from a renowned Indian University.
Check out International Student Exchange Programs here !
(Article contributed by Aryan Gupta, Graphics by Anulipi Debnath for Precisely)
It’s Precisely these opportunities which if, taken advantage of , can paint a brighter future.
No matter what you might be aiming for professionally, it does no harm to start searching for Opportunity..
We have come up with a mobile application which performs all of these for you, it gets you personalized opportunities, like, these super rewarding fellowships, fully funded conferences, abroad internships, competitions and lot more.